[Gamasutra rounds up the latest news in the world of App Store gaming, featuring standout releases like RayForce, Fingle, Run Roo Run, and Star Marine: Infinite Ammo.]
- Taito's Classic Shoot-'Em-Up RayForce Hits iOS
Taito's 1993 vertically scrolling shoot-'em-up RayForce
(released stateside for the Sega Saturn as Galactic Attack
) arrives in the App Store with a new mode optimized for one-touch gameplay.
- Release Trailer: Fingle (Game Oven Studios)
"Adriaan de Jongh and Bojan Endrovski's Fingle
takes clear advantage of the iPad's wide touch screen, giving players' hands a large space within which to solve each of the 51 finger-intertwining puzzles."
- 5th Cell Releases Jump-And-Run Action Game Run Roo Run
Following up on last year's App Store launch of Scribblenauts Remix
, developer 5th Cell tackles the autoscrolling platformer genre in the kangaroo-themed Run Roo Run
- Contra-Like Run-And-Gun Star Marine: Infinite Ammo Premieres For iOS
"Developer GlitchSoft cites inspiration from genre classics like Contra
and Metal Slug
, and a couple of scenes in the game's launch trailer are direct take-offs on boss encounters from Contra III
, in particular."
- Minecraft: Pocket Edition Update Set For February
"While Kaplan notes that the game's more in-depth survival aspects won't be available initially, the forthcoming update will add foundation elements like new blocks, doors, fences, and animals."
- Rhythm-Puzzler Zpulse Debuts In App Store
, players tap specific colors to the beat of the background music track. Synced and chained hits score bonus points, while tapping the wrong color will cause the screen to fill up with new pieces."
- Super Crate Box iOS Reaches Collection Milestone, Updates With New Content
"The iOS version of Super Crate Box
has updated with new playable characters to commemorate the shared collection of five million crates among the game's userbase."
- World Of Goo iOS Breaks One Million Downloads
"2d boy, the clever clogs developer behind the absurdly brilliant World Of Goo
, have today announced that the iOS release of their game has now passed one million downloads between the iPhone and the iPad."