It sounds like a punchline, but Duke Nukem Forever
has been delayed yet again. After announcing a May 3 release date
, 2K Games' long awaited title will launch June 14 in North America.
"In case you haven't heard, Duke never comes early," said 2K president Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K.
"We're committed to deliver a laugh-out-loud, politically incorrect experience that people will talk about for years to come," adds Hartmann. "We thank Duke's fans for their continued patience - I promise this won't take another 15 years."
Development of the game, starring the testosterone-pumped 80s action hero-styled Duke Nukem, originated at 3D Realms in the late 1990s. Previously, the studio released Duke Nukem 3D
Gearbox acquired the franchise
from fellow Texas studio 3D Realms in 2010, after 3D Realms laid off its Duke Nukem Forever
development team. That led to a lawsuit and countersuit between 3D Realms and the game's publisher Take-Two, parent of 2K. 3D Realms and Take-Two subsequently settled their suits out of court.
Technically, Duke Nukem Forever
has been in development since 1997, with trickles of information leaking out here and there over the years that promised the game was still on its way.
"I'm very sorry for the added delay. We've all been working extremely hard and are very eager to deliver the game to you," said Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford.