- Both the Apple App Store and Google Play grew in terms of total revenue in the last six months. Google Play experienced greater growth (67 percent) versus App Store (15 percent), but App Store generated twice the revenue.
- The U.S. was the world leader in money spent on apps in July, followed by Japan and South Korea.
- Japan and South Korea were the dominant contributors to Google Play revenue.
- Gameloft's Despicable Me came in as the top free app for July, helping secure Gameloft as the month's leading publisher.
- Top revenue generator globally for July was King's Candy Crush Saga.
2 min read
Candy Crush Saga, Gameloft lead global mobile charts
App analytics firm Distimo has released its findings for the global performance of top smartphone apps for July, with some recognizable games leading the charts.
App analytics firm Distimo has released its findings for the global performance of top smartphone apps for July, with games again dominating the charts. Gameloft came in as the leading publisher for the month, with its free tie-in app for Despicable Me leading download charts. In terms of revenue, King's Candy Crush Saga predictably came out as the top generator. The study involved both the Apple App Store and Google Play and assessed growth on a worldwide scale. It also noted that revenue Google Play has grown considerably (over 50 percent) in the last six months, while the App Store has seen more modest growth (but still tops out in overall revenue.) Here are the key takeaways: