CEDEC is Japan's premier game development conference, and it has today shared the nominees for its annual awards across five categories. The event will take place in Yokohama from August 26 to 28. Registered members can vote for their selections (note that the site requires a login and is in Japanese).
Even if you're not a part of the Japanese game development industry, the list of nominees provides a window into what matters to developers in the region -- still a powerhouse of console development, even as it has become a huge market for mobile games.
The categories are interpreted broadly, with a wide variety of entries for each one. You'll find links to either external sites or Gamasutra articles to lend context where necessary.
- AMD's Mantle API development team
- Shinra Technologies development team
- Microsoft Visual Studio development team
- Sega's Edel Sand development team
- Tri-Ace's Yoshiharu Gotanda, for pioneering work in realtime graphics
- Seiichiro Shizumu for his work with Ninchiro holograms
- Arc System Works' Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign development team for its anime-style 3D graphics
- Parasyte visual effects production team
- Mojang, the Minecraft development team
- Q-Games, the The Tomorrow Children development team
- Square Enix's Naoki Yoshida for Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward
- Sega's Sangokushi Taisen development team
- The Nekoatsume development team
- Liica's Q development team
- Square Enix's Schoolgirl Strikers development team
- Square Enix's Final Fantasy XIV development and sound teams
- Sora and Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS music, sound, and development teams
- IGDA Japan's Audio SIG
- Yo-Kai Watch series sound team
- Capcom's in-house audio team, Cap'stone