The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Come join the award winning team that developed God of War! Sony Santa Monica Studio is looking for a Character Artist to take help in creating the artistic vision and development of our characters. We are looking for someone who can utilize a combination of traditional fine art and technical art skills.
A Character Artist must possess the ability to effectively collaborate with a wide-range of development team members outside of their direct discipline such as the Art Director, Designers, Technical Artist, Animators, Programmers, and Producers to optimally achieve artistic goals and implementation as they relate to design and technological considerations.
Primary Responsibilities / Job Duties:
- Character 2D texture map painting, 3D modeling/ sculpting, and material setup/UV layout according to defined quality standards, artistic styles, conceptual designs, development pipelines, technical parameters and production goals.
- Contribute to the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to define and achieve a product’s visual style or encourage artistic evolution within the studio. This entails expanding methods to improve the production pipeline, tools, systems and visual integrity.
- Maintain the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring character assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- Maintain a good knowledge of the game’s design to facilitate communication and enable early identification of issues.
- Proactively facilitate requests or information needs regarding any aspect of the character art creation process as requested.
- Capable of resolving a range of complex artistic development issues for both artists as well as other team members.
- Actively improve skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the Production group to coordinate task lists to ensure assignments are progressing as expected according to schedules, milestones and overall project goals.
- Clearly communicate updates and properly escalate concerns to the appropriate team member(s) and manager(s).
- Strong traditional fine art skills, training and production experience (illustration, painting, composition, human anatomy / organic forms, color theory, perspective, 2D & 3D design.)
- Proficient in the use of Maya (or 3d modeling package) Photoshop, and Z-Brush/Mudbox
- Familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture paining, PBR material setup, character skinning, surface sampling, mapping techniques, UV layout, in-game animation, character rigging and engine parameters/optimizations desirable
- Previous or next-gen video game platform experience is desirable
- Good communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills
- Works under minimal direction to determine and develop approach to solutions
- B.A. in fine arts or relevant curriculum or equivalent skillset
- Minimum 3 years’ industry experience or related experience
- 2 or more published titles considered a strength