The Gamasutra Job Board is the most diverse, active and established board of its kind for the video game industry!
Here is just one of the many, many positions being advertised right now.
Location: Austin, Texas
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms.
Retro Studios is located in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.
Purpose/Summary: An individual contributor who creates 3D models, applies UV’s and paints texture maps via software for characters for video game development.
- Creates 3D digital sculpts and models for characters and objects by translating 2D concept art into 3D and using design specifications as a guide
- Demonstrates a good sense of form, volume, structure, and silhouette
- Demonstrates familiarity with current modeling and texturing workflows. For example: you are very comfortable with creating high-res source models, clean and efficient low-poly topology that facilitates accurate normal casting and good deformation for animation.
- Creates UV layouts that demonstrate an understanding of proper texel density, texture memory constraints, and current shader and lighting technologies
- Produces hand-painted textures and is familiar with the role and usage of the various textures types and how they pertain to current shader & lighting technology
- Works directly with Designers, Artists, Animators, and Production to help visualize and develop game designs
- Generally responsible for significant portion of larger system
- Identifies and proposes solutions to problems as they become apparent
- Mentors less experienced members of the team
* This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
Summary of Requirements:
- Prior experience designing and modeling video game characters
- Prior concept art experience preferred
- Experience creating art assets in Maya preferred
- Minimum three years' experience in character art production for interactive entertainment, including minimum of one product cycle as a character artist in the industry
- Undergraduate degree in art related subject or completion of an intensive art training program or equivalent preferred. Specific experience can be substituted for formal education
- Effective written, verbal and interpersonal communication
- Fast-paced environment with fluctuating production requirements; may be necessary to change specific duties, projects, schedule or direction on short notice; overtime, weekend and holiday work may be required; minimal travel may be required
We are an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans…valuing diversity…celebrating strengths.