Location: Durham, North Carolina
If you'd like to create buildings and structures but your more adapt at using software than you are at using heavy equipment, this role may be for you! If textured environments and 3D models are your thing, Insomniac wants to talk to you - no building permits required!
We are looking for an artist to be responsible for creating the environment or world where the game takes place. This includes modeling, texturing, set dressing environments, and placing geometry into a gameplay environment, or "level".
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Models natural and architectural geometry from concept art and photo reference
• Creates uv layouts
• Generates normal maps
• Textures environment objects
• Authors surfaces
• Flags materials for sound and effects
• Creates collision for environment objects
• Optimize textures and geometry; creates LOD’s
• Composes models in the game environment
• Works closely with level designers to lay out levels that work for design and gameplay and follow the aesthetic, technical, and performance guidelines set by the Lead
• Scopes levels for on-time milestone delivery
• Maintains consistent style under the direction of the Art Director and Lead Environment Artist
• Other duties may be assigned
Qualifications needed for this spot:
• Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Excellent foundations skills, including composition, design, and color theory.
• Strong traditional painting skills in both stylized and photorealistic styles.
• Ability to meet deadlines under tight schedules.
• Willingness to receive direction and work closely with a team.
• Must play games or understand the goal of a level design.
• Advanced understanding of Maya, Photoshop, Z-brush, Mudbox or equivalent.
• Advanced understanding of generating normal maps from high poly models.
• Understanding of node based shader networks a plus.
• Advanced understanding of level editor
• Understanding of Perforce.
If you are up for the task – then we look forward to hearing from you! Please use the link below and apply directly to us. Thanks!
Interested? Apply now.
About the Gamasutra Job Board
Whether you're just starting out, looking for something new, or just seeing what's out there, the Gamasutra Job Board is the place where game developers move ahead in their careers.
Gamasutra's Job Board is the most diverse, most active, and most established board of its kind in the video game industry, serving companies of all sizes, from indie to triple-A.
Looking for a new job? Get started here. Are you a recruiter looking for talent? Post jobs here.